With each new iteration of the iPhone and iOS adding new screen sizes and resolutions, Apple seem intent on making designers play catch-up. There are now around six different icon sizes for Apple’s plethora of iOS devices, and with this figure often changing, it’s important to keep up to date on the latest iOS icon sizes. This is particularly important for your app design, as all apps must meet the icon size requirements if they are to be accepted for distribution on the App Store. Furthermore, designing in the right sizes ensures scalability across devices – a vital factor in ensuring your product is accessible to all.
What are the iOS 9 icon sizes for your app launcher icon, then? This guide aims to provide you with this information in as simple and as straightforward a way as possible.
This information is up-to-date as of Q1 2016, and will be updated as and when Apple make any new changes.
What sizes do I need to create for my iOS App icon?
To deploy your iOS app in the App Store, the icon sizes you need in pixels are:
- 76 x 76 px
- 120 x 120 px
- 152 x 152 px
- 167 x 167 px
- 180 x 180 px
- 1024 x 1024 px
If you want a little more detail about which device sizes the icons are for, take a look at the more detailed list below:
- 76 x 76 px (@1x) iPad 2 & iPad mini
- 120 x 120 px (@2x) iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 6 & iPhone 6s
- 152 x 152 px (@2x) iPad 2 and iPad mini
- 167 x 167 px (@2x) iPad Pro
- 180 x 180 px (@3x) iPhone 6 Plus & iPhone 6s Plus
- 1024 x 1024 px (App Store Icon)
What size is the iOS launch file?
The launch file is a place-holder graphic used by iOS to make your app feel responsive while it starts up. It is required for all apps, but does vary depending on which devices and OS version you are designing for.
For iOS 8 and above, the latest devices (including iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus) require specific iOS Launch File or XIB which has increased functionality over a static PNG file.
Older devices and pre iOS8 only need a static PNG file:
- 640 x 960px – iPhone 4s (@2x)
- 640 x 1136px – iPhone 5 (@2x)
- 768 x 1024px (portrait) & 1024 x 768px (landscape) – iPad 2 & iPad mini (@1x)
- 1536 x 2048px (portrait) & 2048 x 1536px (landscape) – iPad & iPad mini (@2x)
- 2048 x 2732px (portrait) 2732 x 2048px (landscape) – iPad pro (@2x)
However you can still use static PNG images for the latest iOS devices if you prefer:
- 750 x 1334px (portrait) & 1334 x 750px (landscape) – iPhone 6 (@2x)
- 1242 x 2048px (portrait) & 2048 x 1242px (landscape) – iPhone 6 Plus (@3x)
Again more detailed information about Launch files can be found Launch Files
Looking for custom icons?
Is your software hot but your icons not? See how we can help
Owner and creative director at Creative Freedom Ltd. Unbelievably cool icon design expert, husband, and father of two awesome girls. A proper decent chappy and thoroughly fab to work with. Ok, so I wrote my own bio…